Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Memory

I have production SQL server with 2GB, Memory is configured Dynamically with
Maximum of 1537MB, can I increase this to maybe 1800MB or do I need to add
more memory . would 500MB for the OS is planty?
Thanks
This is clearly one of those "it depends answers". I would leave at least
500 for OS and all other ancillary processes (including SQL stuff not
directly related to buffer cache). But you can test with different max
values and see what performs best for you. Check the Pages/sec and page
fault delta performance stuff. If you are seeing consistently high values
there then sql max mem is too high.
TheSQLGuru
President
Indicium Resources, Inc.
<msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:OjoHzYXcHHA.4888@.TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I have production SQL server with 2GB, Memory is configured Dynamically
>with
> Maximum of 1537MB, can I increase this to maybe 1800MB or do I need to add
> more memory . would 500MB for the OS is planty?
> Thanks
>

No comments:

Post a Comment