Friday, March 30, 2012

Memory allocation

I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget constraints
,
I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm unclea
r
as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of RAM
.
I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
Thanks,
MarshaThe Books Online <architec.chm::/8_ar_ts_8dbn.htm> states that SQL 2000 SE
has a 2GB memory limit. Also, the /3GB boot.ini switch is unsupported under
Windows 2000 Standard as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988. The /3GB is available with Windows
2000 Standard but only for testing purposes.
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Marsha" <Marsha@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD2B35E4-A9FA-48B8-A466-AF6E687321F3@.microsoft.com...
> I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget
> constraints,
> I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm
> unclear
> as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of
> RAM.
> I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
> Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
> Thanks,
> Marsha|||Thank you for your response.
"Marsha" wrote:

> I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget constrain
ts,
> I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm uncl
ear
> as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of R
AM.
> I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
> Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
> Thanks,
> Marsha|||Note that Windows 2003 Standard supports up to 4GB RAM, according to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...s.msp
x.
However, SQL2000 Standard still only supports 2GB so it doesn't currently
help.
If you look to the future however, SQL2005 standard will support "unlimited"
RAM when run on 64-bit systems like the new AMD Opterons. This would require
Windows 2003/64 or whatever it's called. I've heard that MS is going to
offer a free upgrade from XP or W2k3 to the 64bit equivalent edition. So
depending on the memory limitations MS sets on W2k3/64 Standard you may be
able to use significantly more RAM in the not too distant future.
Here's a link to some SQL2005 info.
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/p...005features.asp
Mike Kruchten
"Marsha" <Marsha@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EFC6C0D6-514D-4729-B985-C0E800891D12@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thank you for your response.
> "Marsha" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment