Friday, March 30, 2012

Memory allocation

I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget constraints,
I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm unclear
as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of RAM.
I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
Thanks,
MarshaThe Books Online <architec.chm::/8_ar_ts_8dbn.htm> states that SQL 2000 SE
has a 2GB memory limit. Also, the /3GB boot.ini switch is unsupported under
Windows 2000 Standard as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988. The /3GB is available with Windows
2000 Standard but only for testing purposes.
--
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Marsha" <Marsha@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD2B35E4-A9FA-48B8-A466-AF6E687321F3@.microsoft.com...
> I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget
> constraints,
> I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm
> unclear
> as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of
> RAM.
> I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
> Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
> Thanks,
> Marsha|||Thank you for your response.
"Marsha" wrote:
> I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget constraints,
> I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm unclear
> as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of RAM.
> I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
> Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
> Thanks,
> Marsha|||Note that Windows 2003 Standard supports up to 4GB RAM, according to
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx.
However, SQL2000 Standard still only supports 2GB so it doesn't currently
help.
If you look to the future however, SQL2005 standard will support "unlimited"
RAM when run on 64-bit systems like the new AMD Opterons. This would require
Windows 2003/64 or whatever it's called. I've heard that MS is going to
offer a free upgrade from XP or W2k3 to the 64bit equivalent edition. So
depending on the memory limitations MS sets on W2k3/64 Standard you may be
able to use significantly more RAM in the not too distant future.
Here's a link to some SQL2005 info.
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/productinfo/sql2005features.asp
Mike Kruchten
"Marsha" <Marsha@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EFC6C0D6-514D-4729-B985-C0E800891D12@.microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your response.
> "Marsha" wrote:
>> I'm getting ready to build a new SQL 2000 server. Due to budget
>> constraints,
>> I am going to be building SQL Standard on Windows 2000 Standard. I'm
>> unclear
>> as to whether or not, in this scenario, I can allocate more than 2 GB of
>> RAM.
>> I know you can put a switch in the boot.ini if you're running Advanced
>> Server, but is this switch useable with Windows 2000 Standard?
>> Thanks,
>> Marsha

No comments:

Post a Comment