Monday, March 26, 2012

memo data type Import error while importing data from Access file into SQl Server 2005

I have one column in SQL Server 2005 of data type VARCHAR(4000).

I have imported sql Server 2005 database data into one mdb file.After importing a data into the mdb file, above column

data type converted into the memo type in the Access database.

now when I am trying to import a data from this MS Access File(db1.mdb) into the another SQL Server 2005 database, got the error of Unicode Converting a memo data type conversion in Export/Import data wizard.

Could you please let me know what is the reason?

I know that memo data type does not supported into the SQl Server 2005.

I am with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP2.

Please help me to understans this issue correctly?

If the wizard error says Unicode then change your data type in SQL Server 2005 to Nvarchar(max) because memo can grow above 4000 which is the limit for Nvarchar data type without the max key word. Try the link below for details.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186939.aspx

|||

Thanks for the reply.

However why SQL Server 2000 is not throwing this error? MSSQL 2000 is also contains the nvarchar data type.

|||That could the related to 2005 data types definition is more strict than 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment